Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet Arkansas state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS).
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
The Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) is a program developed to promote the public health and welfare by detecting diversion, abuse, and misuse of prescription medications classified as controlled substances under the Arkansas State Legislature Act 304.
The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) oversees the operation of the PMP and has selected Appriss Health to develop a database that will collect and store prescribing and dispensing data for controlled substances in Schedules II, III, IV, and V and any other drugs specified by Arkansas law as amended. Appriss Health’s PMP AWARxE is a Web-based program that facilitates the collection, analysis, and reporting of information on the prescribing, dispensing, and use of controlled substance prescription drugs.
Arkansas law requires that each dispenser shall submit, by electronic means, information regarding each prescription dispensed for a controlled substance. Each time a controlled substance is dispensed to an individual, the dispenser shall submit the information required by Arkansas law to the central repository weekly for the previous week, Sunday through Saturday.
Although the integration of Practice Fusion and the Arkansas PDMP is not yet available, integrating Arkansas PDMP data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR) like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the Arkansas PDMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in Arkansas PDMP, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of Arkansas PDMP data within the EHR.
To register for the Arkansas PMP, visit https://arkansas.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.